Wednesday 7 December 2011

DRAFT: Evaluation Question 2

Media Evaluation: EVALUATION 2. How Effective is the Combination of Your Main Product and Ancillary Texts?
                
To make sure that the combination of my main product, the Music Video and the Ancillary Texts, Digipak and Poster was effective, I had to ensure that I created a ‘branding’ across these products that would make it recognisable to their fans.


Starting off with the Music Video, as this was our main product. I had to base my other two Ancillary texts around this in order to get the overall image I wanted of the band. As the music video only featured the lead singer, I thought that it would be a good idea to not include a picture of the band for the ancillary texts. This would ruin the continuity and it wouldn’t be as effective. As the music video was very heavily based in London, I wanted to carry this idea of using the city shots into my other texts which I had created.

For my Digipak, I was thinking about the overall image of the band, I wanted their music to come across instead of how they looked. So I thought that it would be a good idea to just feature the city shots I had taken in London while we were shooting, this gives the digipak and Music Video a much closer connection making it easier for the fans and people seeing it on the shelves to relate it to the band. For the digipak, I also kept a very simple colour scheme; the reason for this is because I didn’t want it to become too busy and amateur looking. So I stuck with the colour red as this is the colour that in my opinion, really describes the iconic city of London. Whether it’s the classic city buses, old telephone boxes, or even the guard uniforms at Buckingham Palace, I think that red is the most attractive and best choice to include in my digipak.
               
For the poster, I had chosen to use the same image as I had chosen for the front cover of the digipak. I thought that this worked really well together as a combination of branding because by using the same image for the digipak front cover and the poster, it makes it easier for the audience to recognise who that image belongs to. I thought that this worked very well as a branding technique as I hadn’t featured any members of the band on either the front cover of the digipak or the poster.
Overall, I think that the combination of all the products I have created flow very well together. I have used the city to be the main thing element to help tie everything else together. I thought that this was very effective as it showed where the video was set and by using the same Black & White filter as I did in the video, it idea of loneliness and isolation still flows throughout whole products.

1 comment:

  1. can you give examples from exisitng bands and artists who have done similar things to you regarding branding across products?

    ReplyDelete