Thursday 13 October 2011

Inspirational Front Covers

I really like this particular front cover, the use of editing to enhance and fade the colour of the sunset is very attractive to look at. The photo makes me think of a memory which the band have shared together, like it's something seen through their eyes. The simplicity of the cover also appeals to me, it's kept really simple and I think that this is really effective because it portrays the image of the band. Kings Of  Leon are just about the music, they don't care for the theatrical aspects of the music industry unlike other artists like Lady Gaga and Katy Perry. A clear example of this would be when the American Network 'FOX' tried to get the rights to use on of their songs for the TV Show 'Glee' and the band would not allow it because it would cheapen their image, they didn't want to be a sell out. Influences I could take from this particular cover is the use of editing on the image, I think that this would really work for the country shots to emphasise the beauty of nature with the colour of the sun fazing the image.

There are a few aspects this cover that I like, I particularly like the image used for it, it's very simple and emotive. I think that this is really effective because draws you in and it portrays in emotions of the album very well. I also like the use of editing here, by making the picture black and white, it some how emphasises the artist more in a way, it strips away the theatrics and makes it more engaging with the viewer. The lighting used for this photo is also very important, at first glance you may not see it but looking at it at it photographically, you can see that the light would've been put up very close to her face to create the shadows and different tones on her skin. I also like the idea of using just two colours for the font, this helps keep the cover very simple and clean, but in my opinion, I would've chosen a different colour for the '21' because it is not something that I would've chosen. But for this cover, I think that it is effective.

Out of the three, I think I definitely like this one the most. The artist is featured predominantly on the cover and when you see it on a CD shelf at a shop or somehwere else, you can immediatley identify the artist and who she is. Looking at th chalk board behind her, there is a clear contrast between the light and dark. I think the designer of the cover did this because he/ she wanted to portray the name of the album visually emphasising the name of it to the audience. Again, like the first 2, this album is kept very simple. I think that this is a very common style running through the designs of the covers. I think that this is the most important aspect of what I have learnt from looking at these covers, you have to keep the design within the same band as the artist's or band's image. What I am thinking of doing for mine is not having the band on the cover at all, I want to go down the route of having a scenery picture to portray the concept of the album which is Country Vs. City.

No comments:

Post a Comment